See All Our Insights
20 Customer Experience Stats for 2018
May 09, 2019 • 3 Minute Read
Twenty takeaways from Solving for CX, a 2018 survey of over 200 decision makers with direct involvement in the customer experience.
1. Only 45% of respondents believe that ownership of the customer experience definitely sits with the correct department within their organization. Tweet this stat.
2. 88% of respondents say that the customer experience is a very or crucially important strategic priority for their organization from their perspective, but only 64% report their organization feels the same way. Tweet this stat.
3. 61% of respondents report that their organization is already partnered with an external agency or organization to assist with delivering a better customer experience - and an additional 30% say that their organization is not currently but they would like it to be. Tweet this stat.
4. Only 35% of respondents are completely confident that their external CX partners are capable of fulfilling their needs. Tweet this stat.
5. Personalization is crucial when it comes to delivering a good commerce experience, according to the vast majority (92%) of respondents, but 84% believe that the potential of personalization has not yet been fully realized. Tweet this stat.
6. Over half of respondents consider personalization of the customer experience to be crucially important for their organization in terms of improving customer satisfaction (55%) and improving customer retention (51%), while around a third (35%) say the same for attracting new customers. Tweet this stat.
7. Only 31% of respondents think that their organization is very successful – and that there is nothing that they can improve – at personalizing the customer experience for its customers in terms of delivering a seamless experience across different channels. Tweet this stat.
8. Only 23% of respondents say that their organization is very successful at reacting to real-time customer interactions, and 21% report they are very successful at using analytics to identify individual trends and patterns of customer behavior. Tweet this stat.
9. 51% of respondents agree that their organization often fails to deliver the personalization that its customers crave. Tweet this stat.
10. Of those whose believe that their organization needs to improve its personalization capabilities, 46% cite having more real-time data/insights as a top three area for improvement. Tweet this stat.
11. 41% of all respondents anticipate B2C-like buying experiences in a B2B context being one of the biggest B2B commerce trends for 2018. Tweet this stat.
12. 98% of respondents state that advanced technology like AI and machine learning is either currently enabling (34%) their organization to provide a better customer experience, or that they expect it to in the future (64%). And, 94% agree that these technologies will be a huge help when it comes to solving and optimizing complex commerce challenges. Tweet this stat.
13. 97% of respondents from the financial services sector say that they are currently facing challenges in relation to the customer experience - and 61% agree that they would gain a competitive advantage over the competition if they optimized their customer journey. Tweet this stat.
14. One in five (18%) respondents in the healthcare and life sciences industry report they have no confidence at all in their external CX partner. Tweet this stat.
15. Respondents from the healthcare and life sciences industry are the most likely (56%) to report that operationalizing the customer experience is one of their top three CX challenges. Tweet this stat.
16. Respondents from the IT, tech, and telecoms sector are the most likely to say that the customer experience is crucially important to their organization’s strategic priorities - both from their perspective (78%) and the perspective of their organization as a whole (72%). Tweet this stat.
17. Only 18% of respondents from the manufacturing and distribution sector report that CX is crucially important to their organization’s strategic priorities, and yet 94% say that they often fail to deliver the personalized experience their customers crave. Tweet this stat.
18. 97% of respondents from the travel and tourism sector agree that personalization is crucial when it comes to delivering a good commerce experience. Tweet this stat.
19. Respondents from the travel and tourism sector are more likely than any other sector to predict that machine learning could assist with the provision of real-time analysis and optimization (63%), and building more accurate pricing models/strategies (57%). Tweet this stat.
20. Only 18% of respondents from the healthcare and life sciences industry report that AI or machine learning is currently enabling better CX for their organization, but over 80% believe it probably or definitely will in the future. Tweet this stat.